Total Pageviews

Monday, December 2, 2013

| EXTREME TALKING POINT | ~ I'm Not Running to the PS4 or XBOX One Just Yet

"I'm insane."


You probably just looked at this title and thought to yourself: “What kind of delusional lunatic is this?” Yeah, I guess I probably am.  

While every ‘core’ console gamer out there is salivating over their shiny new toys, I’m sticking in my corner enjoying my Wii U. No, no. I’m not saying the PS4 and XBOX One are bad consoles - nope - not in the least, so please, don’t take my words out of context.

What I am saying is that in their current form, they simply don’t tickle my fancy.
 

“But why?! These are the true next-gen systems, with all the awesome new features, and the mind-blowing next-gen graphics!!!”

Eh, okay.

In their current form, both the XBOX One and PS4 are young systems with kinks that still need to be ironed out. While I’m not directly referring to those beautiful hardware issues some users of these new systems are facing, I’m really referring to the fact that right now, it makes no sense for me to buy either. While they both have the definitive versions of the multi-plat~cross-gen games; I’m not going to shell out almost a thousand bucks just for a modest update in graphics.

Yes, I said modest.

Honestly; the difference between games on the PS4/XBOX One compared to the PS3/360 and even Wii U is minuscule. Probably the biggest difference is found on CoD: Ghosts - which is arguably a very shoddy-port across the board. Yes, obviously there are games that show a pretty noticeable difference (Watch_Dogs, DriversClub, The Division, Titanfall, and inFamous Second Son come to mind) ~ but honestly; those games will be coming out later on. Right now, I can get more games on a much cheaper, but still entertaining system(s). 

In my eyes, both the PS4 and XBOX One are just complete upgrades over their predecessors. There isn’t anything except the hardware that screams *NEW, FUN and INNOVATIVE* to me. (Okay, the PS4’s Playroom is pretty neat, to say the least) ~ yet even so, I’m just not sold on the idea of shelling out hundreds of dollars for either system.

I certainly don’t expect developers to completely drop support for PS3 and 360 and run to their successors anytime soon. Each of the veteran platforms have massive install bases, and they haven’t exactly stopped growing yet. With that being the case, it should be logical to conclude that support from third-party devs will continue into 2014 and possibly 2015. That’s just speculation, not fact, so once again - don’t take my words out of context. 

With that being the case; I really don’t have much incentive to pick-up either new system in the coming months. Unless a mind-numbingly awesome set of new titles is announced that tickles my fancy; I think I’ll wait at least a year or two before I pick-up either one. Maybe by that time they’ll be a little cheaper and that way, I’ll have more money to buy new games.

Nevertheless, that’s only me. If you’re planning to get an XBOX One or PS4 soon, or even if you already have one; congrats to you. Enjoy your new system and have a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment